‘The power is in a team of diverse thinkers who are open and supportive, celebrating growth and success.‘
Joe Clayton, as a CEO and TEC Chair, builds leaders and teams that deliver. His leadership, team building, business management, and finance expertise have proved invaluable to his group. Joe works to mentor senior executives interested in going against the grain and willing to be challenged both personally and professionally.
Joe’s career background covers all aspects of the mining industry throughout Australia and South East Asia. However, the skills and expertise he has gained along the way are 100% transferrable. He has faced and overcome numerous challenges ranging from environmental, geographical, operational, financial and socio-political; his go-to solutions, a robust business plan with an empowered high-performance team.
Throughout his career, Joe has worked on major billion-dollar projects and come out on top. From the Anvill Hill Project in the Hunter Valley to the Watermark Project in the Gunnedah Basin, he has led several significant projects to achieve state and federal development approvals. These programs have given him experience in corporate land purchase, bankable feasibilities studies and environmental assessments.
In addition to his stellar resume, Joe is incredibly passionate about creating a positive impact in his local Hunter Valley and Central Coast community. He works with local leaders and organisations to help them create a more productive and sustainable future. Throughout his journey, he has experienced many achievements and career highlights, including:
- A debt restructure as part of the turnaround of the SubZero Group, an ASX listed Hunter Valley mining services business.
- Led SubZero Group, as CEO, through receivership to a successful sale of the assets to MRS Plc, an LSE listed business.
- Lived and worked throughout Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia and Papua New Guinea, working for Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, British, South Korean, Canadian, American and Australian corporations.
- Transitioned to the CEO of MRS and completed a debt restructure and capital raise on the London AIM bourse to stabilise the business financially.
- Successfully implemented significant change management programs at; Muswellbrook Coal in Hunter Valley NSW, Subuku, Senakin and Satui Coalmines in Indonesia, Lihir Gold in PNG, Boddington and Hedges Goldmines in South West WA and Kanowna Belle Goldmine in the WA goldfields.
- Casual Lecturer at the University of NSW.
- Foundation shareholder in an 800 head dairy and waste water re-use facility.
- Finalist in the Housing Industry Association awards for housing construction in the Central Coast and Hunter Valley of NSW
- Chairing the Lihir International School in Papua New Guinea.
- Voluntary roles include; Honorary Commander of 76th Squadron at RAAF Base Williamtown, Patrol Captain at Newcastle Surf Club, Chair of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Open Pit Operators Conference 2021 and Committee Member of the Mining Society.